Saturday 6 September 2014

A Couple of Finishes

The last couple of weeks have been fairly manic but I was able to finish a gift for my niece and the other samples from the Cathedral Windows workshop.
Miss T's birthday present

You may have seen the wall hanging I did for myself with an almost identical design at this post here. I loved it so much that I thought it would make a lovely gift for my niece. As she goes to boarding school my sister suggested a cushion would be better than a wall hanging. Miss T loved it, even if I was in such a hurry that I sewed on the fabric for the back of the cushion upside down!

As I couldn't do binding with mitred corners on a cushion I did a You Tube search for a tutorial on mitred borders. I found this tutorial from Riley Blake Designs and it was fantastic. Very simple explanations with each step demonstrated clearly. You can't really see it in the pic but my mitred border corners, happily, turned out almost perfect. If you want to have a go you can find the video at this link - How to Quilt Series: Mitred Corners for Borders.

On Thursday I was able to finish my Cathedral Windows samples in time to show Mum before she headed North again. Here are the finished pieces.

Cathedral Windows traditional method - Hand stitched

Cathedral Windows traditional method - Machine stitched

Cathedral Windows - Folded corners method

Cathedral Windows - Jelly roll method - Full window
 
Cathedral Windows - Jelly roll method - Flying Geese unit
 
Cathedral Windows - appliqued
One day I wouldn't mind making a project using Cathedral Windows but it probably won't be for a while.

Happy stitching,
Tracy

2 comments:

Maria said...

What a cute cushion for your niece.
The cathedral windows look nice but fiddley..

Oh congrats on being last months FnwFs winner..

Anthea said...

They're beautiful samples Tracy, well done... & lovely work for FNWF too x