Saturday 19 April 2014

Friday Night Sew In (FNSI)

Last night I had a special project to work on for FNSI. A close friend was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and underwent surgery within a week. Having just moved to Perth from the Pilbara she is going to feel the cold terribly this winter. Chemo on top of that could make the cold weather almost unbearable. So, I decided she needed a warm quilt to snuggle under.

I was lucky enough to find a great range of flannel fabrics in Pilbara colours from Quintessential Quilts in Morley...warm fabrics in warm colours, just what my friend needs. I wanted a simple layout and so decided to make a Queen size (roughly) quilt from 5.5" squares. Last night I finished cutting the remaining 2 colours of fabric and started work on the layout.

Colour design gets underway
I lay a white sheet on the floor as my 'design board' and went to work dropping squares, on point, randomly around it. Thank goodness for Miss A who came to help and added her wonderful eye for colour placement to the process. I would have been there all night otherwise!

It's not as easy as it sounds to place fabric squares 'randomly' but I really wanted a scrappy feel to the quilt. This is as far as we got.

First draft - white squares are 'holes' to be filled
We then had to move it to the front lounge room so I wouldn't trip over it while attending to Miss M during the night, and Miss M wouldn't try to be creative with the fabrics this morning. It took 4 of us to move it. Thank goodness I had thought to place it on a sheet.

Successfully moved with (almost) everything still in place
During the night I realised that I had forgotten to allow for seam allowances when working out the final dimensions of the quilt top. I needed another row, both horizontally & vertically. This morning I cut more fabric and this afternoon my wonderful husband took Miss M visiting family so I could work uninterrupted. This is the final draft layout.

Waiting for Miss A's input upon her return from work
This is a project of firsts for me - first bed sized quilt, first scrappy quilt & first time working with flannel fabrics. I would appreciate any advice, suggestions, hints or tips, & your honest feedback on the layout. I have been working on it so hard that I am finding it a little hard to be objective at the moment.

Thanks very much to Wendy from Sugarlane Quilts for hosting our FNSI again this month. It made for a very productive & enjoyable Good Friday. You can see what everyone else got up to at Wendý's blog. Just click on the blog name above and it will take you there.

I hope you all have a wonderful & safe Easter.

Cheers,
Tracy

8 comments:

Maria said...

Tracy your layout for your friends quilt is fabulous.. I am sure she will love to snuggle under it when she needs some warmth and comfort......

Rosie said...

Looks great and will be a wonderful gift for your friend.

barb's creations said...

It's beautiful and I'm sure your friend will love it and the love that has gone into the making of it :) Barb.

Kim said...

It looks great. Hope all goes well with your friend's treatment. I am sure she will really appreciate such a lovely quilt.

Vicki said...

That layout works really well. It will be a lovely quilt for your friend.

Sandra said...

Newbie popping over from FNSI. Amazing is all I can say

Marilyn said...

What a lovely and thoughtful gift for your friend. I wish her well as she goes through her treatment. The scrappy layout looks gorgeous.

Wendy said...

The quilt is looking lovely, all your colours look balanced. It will be a very special gift!